Sunday, 15 September 2013

Free motion without fears!! Thanks to Linda Turner

On Saturday I went to a class lead by Linda Turner (organised by Norfolk Quilters). I had previously tried to free motion but I really needed some tuition. Linda was such a good teacher, she really made it a fun class. I did not realise how many things you need to know before you start, for example using the correct needle and thread. So here are some examples of free motion. They are just small practice pieces I am not making into anything particular. I am going to use them as a reference to decide what free motion pattern to use on future quilts. The top left image is a section i have turned into a book mark by satin stitching the edges. The first set of images are from my earlier efforts...

After some practice I felt it was getting much easier. I am much more pleased with the next batch..

I absolutely love it though and can't wait to do some on a proper quilt!!

Wednesday, 11 September 2013

English paper piecing

I have had my first go at English paper piecing this month. I inherited the fabric so it was not what I normally would have chosen but I thought I would give it a go. I used both paper and card hexagon templates and I found that the paper ones were easier to work with. I cut the fabric to approximately a quarter inch larger than the hexagon papers. I folded the fabric over the hexagon paper and tacked it in place without knotting the cotton so the tacking was easier to remove. To join the hexagons I used whip stitch. Here are the hexagons I have joined so far, I am planning on adding straight boarders and some appliqué on top of the hexagons to cover some of the less attractive fabrics. I was thinking of making the lower one in to a Christmas theme quilt. I will keep you posted.

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Petrol blue annis shawl

I found a free pattern for a shawl on ravelry ( and decided to have a go. 
I used austermann merino lace in teal.  

Here is the finished results...

It turned out to be a quick knit although I found the long edge cast on a little tedious. 
But worth it in the end. 

Monday, 9 September 2013

Colouriscious zip pockets

I spun some Aran weight yarn from some colour blended merino (Yorkshire range from Wingham wool work). I tried to ply the yarn so that the colour changes coordinated. Here is the finished yarn.

I knitted a simple rectangle and sewed the side a bottom edges to form a pocket.

As the yarn is not super even I decided to felt it to smooth out those oversized stitches. I also crocheted a similar pocket to test how the colours would come out with the different techniques. I used treble crochet on the crochet pocket so it came together very quickly. However, I forgot to take a picture of the crocheted version before I felted it. I popped the pockets in the machine at 50 degrees on a standard cycle. Once I reshaped the pockets and allowed them to dry I sewed on zips. Here is the finished result. I much prefer how the colours came out on the knitted version. I think felting is a great way to use up my handspun yarn while I am still learning to spin.